Examples of Paternal Child Abuse
Did your Father:
- Discount your thoughts, opinions and contributions?
- Perceive his wife/children as his personal property, to command as he wished?
- Disrespect family members
- Withhold affection?
- Treat your mother as less than an equal partner?
- Avoid participation in family /school functions?
- Usually put work and his own interests ahead of those of the family?
- Make promises, only to routinely disappoint?
- Was he aggressive or abusive toward family members?
- Need to be right / in control at all times?
- “Disown” you for disappointing him?
- Shame you privately or in front of others?
- Was he there for his family and friends when they needed him?
- Embarrass you, humiliate you or ignore you?
- Ever abuse you – psychologically, verbally, physically or sexually?
- Blame his failures on others or make excuses for his bad behavior?