Parental Alienation is a form of undue influence in which one parent deceives and manipulates the child to feel fear, anger, disgust, or other negative emotions towards the other parent and their entire side of the family. Stories are told that might include: the parent doesn’t love them, beat, raped them, are drug addicts etc.. The alienating parent might even attempt to instill false memories of abuse or phobias in the child’s mind. They may encourage the child to spy and tattle on the other parent. In other words, parents who unethically alienate their child against the other parent use similar tactics that cults use to distance their members from family, friends, and ex-members.
According to developmental psychologist and expert witness Dr. Amy Baker, parental alienation strategies can fall into the following five categories:
- poisonous messages to the child about the targeted parent in which he or she is portrayed as unloving, unsafe, and unavailable
- limiting contact and communication between the child and the targeted parent
- erasing and replacing the targeted parent in the heart and mind of the child
- encouraging the child to betray the targeted parent’s trust
- undermining the authority of the targeted parent
This systematic mind control programming of children against their non-custodial parent is absolutely dangerous.
Alienated from her Mother at Age 4, Parental Alienation and Patterns of Cult Mind Control