If you answer “yes” to two or more of these questions, you may have anosognosia:
- Has a family member or friend ever told you to seek psychological treatment?
- Do you think everybody is out to get you or doesn’t want to see you happy?
- Do people express skepticism when you tell what you believe about provocative subjects?
- Do you have trouble keeping a job?
- Do you have difficulty maintaining close relationships?
- Do you think psychiatry is a type of pseudoscience?
- Are you addicted to prescription or nonprescription opioids or stimulants?
- Have you ever been placed temporarily in a hospital for emergency psychiatric care?
Even after experiencing homelessness, incarceration or physical harm, many people with anosognosia still refuse to admit they have a mental illness.