It is difficult to name one single person as the “most informed” trauma specialist, as the field of trauma is constantly evolving and there are many experts who have contributed to our understanding of trauma and its effects. However, some of the most influential and respected trauma specialists include:
- Bessel van der Kolk: a Dutch psychiatrist and author who is known for his research and treatment of trauma, particularly in the area of complex trauma and developmental trauma disorder.
- Judith Herman: an American psychiatrist and author who has written extensively on trauma, including her influential book “Trauma and Recovery.”
- Peter A. Levine: an American psychologist and author who is known for his work on somatic experiencing, a body-oriented approach to healing trauma.
- Stephen Porges: an American neuroscientist and author who has developed the Polyvagal Theory, which helps explain the body’s physiological response to trauma and stress.
- Pat Ogden: an American psychologist and author who is known for her work on sensory-based therapies, including Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, which incorporates the body’s response to trauma in the therapeutic process.
These specialists have made significant contributions to the field of trauma and continue to inform our understanding and treatment of trauma today.